What is Zenith?
Zenith is a first-person immersive action game of skill and strategy where you use the landscape's resources to gain height, and ultimately depose the Sentinel at the Zenith.
Inspired by The Sentinel by Geoff Crammond, this version is mostly faithful to The Sentinel. In developing Zenith, we have kept the design simple while using some of the capabilities that today's improved hardware provides. This remake takes the best from The Sentinel, and improves it with easier controls and bigger and more varied landscapes. If you liked The Sentinel, you'll love Zenith!
Zenith [noun] 2. Highest point or state; culmination.
Zenith has been designed to run on modest computer hardware, including mobile computers.
- Computer running Windows 98/2000/XP/2003/Vista,
- OpenGL support (most modern computers have this support),
- 350MHz / Intel Pentium II or equivalent processor, or better,
- Display capable of VGA (640x480) or better,
- Mouse or other pointing device, and keyboard.
Recommended (where attributes exceed the Minimum Required configuration),
- 1.5GHz P4 processor or equivalent (e.g. 1.0GHz AMD), or better,
- Hardware-accelerated 3D graphics with at least 8MB dedicated display memory,
- Zenith will take advantage of hardware rendering of sound and graphics.
- Zenith does not run on MacOS,
- Zenith will run on the Wine emulator on Linux, but some problems with visibility of the game panels have been reported,
- Zenith can be prompted to run in low-power mode to help your computer conserve battery power. This is an experimental feature, and changes the game experience slightly.
- Expand the Zenith.zip file to your desktop (if your chosen zip expander has an option to Expand Here, use that, because all of Zenith's files are contained within their own folder).
- You may move this folder to wherever you want to keep Zenith, including network drives and USB drives.
- If you want to uninstall Zenith, just delete the Zenith folder; Zenith does not keep any other files on your computer.
- In the Zenith folder, you'll find Zenith.exe - run it by double-clicking.
How to Play: Quick Start (if you don't bother with manuals!)
Then here's a very quick summary:
- When you run Zenith, a game will start immediately. If this is the very first time you have run Zenith, your game will start at the easiest level.
- You will see hints at the top-left of the screen. These are to help you get started. Press F4 when you've had enough of them, and have won several Landscapes.
- If you want to change the game difficulty or configuration options, then press Esc. The Settings box then allows you to change these options - see Config & Tweaks for more information.
- Check out the Key Reference Guide.
- Oh, and you'll want to know what you are trying to achieve. Keep reading...